Early Childhood Program
Welcome to North Haven Public Schools Early Childhood Assistance Preschool Program
All students will be provided with a safe, supportive, and nurturing environment that allows all
students to develop readiness skills to be a lifelong learner in the community.
Early Childhood Assistance Program Philosophy
The philosophy of the Early Childhood Preschool Program is based on the belief that play is the best means of facilitating learning in young children. This learning takes place in a language-based program where the children interact with each other and the environment through developmentally appropriate activities. Children learn to make choices through integrated cooperative play which develops problem solving skills, promotes independence, and fosters the growth of each child. These interactions also benefit the preschool child by developing cognitive, social, speech and language, fine and motor skills.
GOALS OF THE EARLY CHILDHOOD ASSISTANCE PRESCHOOL PROGRAM
- Use a multi-disciplinary team, including parents, to determine student needs through Play-Based Assessment and on-going observation.
- Develop and administer a multi-disciplinary program unique to each child’s specific needs.
- Structure an integrated language-based environment.
- Maximize opportunities for natural learning for both students with and without disabilities.
- Develop and encourage choice-making skills.
- Develop problem-solving skills which foster appropriate growth and independence while maximizing individual potential.
- Develop cognitive, social, speech, language, motor and self-help skills through developmentally appropriate activities.
- Facilitate parents in their role as active participants and advocates in their child’s education.
- Successfully transition children to their next level of education
Intake Teacher: Julie Belcher, 203-239-5387, firstname.lastname@example.org
Building Principal: Philip Piazza, email@example.com
Special Education Coordinator PreK-5: Zoe Dolan, firstname.lastname@example.org
The district has a separate preschool program at North Haven High School. This program is not run by the Department of Student Services and has a different set of guidelines for admitting children and their program. Please CLICK HERE for more information about the North Haven High School Preschool Program.